Beyond the Wand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Harry Potter RP site, Beyond the Wand is currently a free-form site where all are welcome!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Important Links & Info

• Site Plot
  • General Rules
  • Character Applications
  • Claims and Jobs
  • FAQ's

• Who is online?
    In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 193 on Sun Apr 11 2021, 04:13

Books Are Friends, Too (Lyra)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
    AuthorMessage
    Humphrey Williams

Humphrey Williams

Ravenclaw - 5th Year

OOC : Brian

Books Are Friends, Too (Lyra) Empty
    PostSubject: Books Are Friends, Too (Lyra)   Books Are Friends, Too (Lyra) EmptySat Mar 10 2018, 19:16

Hogwarts was easily one of Humphrey's favorite places in the world, even if not for the same reasons as most people. He loved the classes, the amazing magical creatures he got to learn about, the unique peculiarities of the castle, and most of all...the library. To him the library felt like his home more than the dorm in Ravenclaw tower, and the quiet turning of pages and hushed voices was one thing he could always count on to help him feel at ease if he was having a bad day. The other parts of life at Hogwarts that seemed to come so easily to most people, like making friends, were what he struggled with. As he walked into the library once again he couldn't help smiling a little to himself, because in their own way books were like friends too.

Humphrey took a look around to see what tables were available and spotted one near a window that provided plenty of light. With a quiet step he walked over and set his bag down carefully to hold the table for him so he could go and get a few books for his class assignments. He needed a couple books on transfiguration to charms to wrap up the assignments he'd already started on, and he had yet to begin his potions assignment that he'd been dreading. While he did alright in the class he hated all the smells put off by boiling cauldrons and the lack of natural light with it being in the dungeons. More often than not he left the class with a headache, but it was one of the core classes and he wanted to put forth a good effort at least. Soon he had a small stack of books that should cover what he needed and he began to head back towards the table by the window, preparing himself to tackle today's work.
    Back to top Go down
    Lyra Binton

Lyra Binton

Hufflepuff - 5th Year

PostSubject: Re: Books Are Friends, Too (Lyra)   Books Are Friends, Too (Lyra) EmptySat Mar 10 2018, 19:56

Even though it was the end of summer, Lyra could still feel the warmth of a late September breeze floating in through the windows of the castle as she headed to the library. She'd spent most of the Saturday morning down in her common room, playing cards with Emily and Phillip. Unfortunately, they'd gotten into some sort of row with the rules, leading the small brunette to excuse herself. It had nothing do with her, so she decided to get a bit of work done.

It hadn't taken her long to gather her parchment and quills, and a light blue sweater, before heading up towards the moving staircases. While she didn't mind the usual uniform on most days, she was happy to have the chance to wear her new sundress - a pale mint, it fell below her knees. But it was the flowy skirt that she enjoyed the most.

There weren't many students when she entered. She figured they were mostly out on the grounds, or down by the lake, relishing in the warm weather. Passing by the stacks of books, she headed towards her favorite little alcove. It was off to the side, but surrounded by some little used history books. Not of interest to most students, it meant she was usually left to her own studying when she came in.

Surprise stopped her short when she saw a bag already perched on the table. Looking around, she didn't see who it belonged to right away. No matter, she thought, It's not like we can't share it. At ease once again, she took a seat and started spreading out her materials, already having the first book she would need in her bag.

It wasn't long before a boy rounded the corner, clearly headed her way. She spoke out to him, "I hope it's okay that I sit with you. It's my favorite table."
    Back to top Go down
    Humphrey Williams

Humphrey Williams

Ravenclaw - 5th Year

PostSubject: Re: Books Are Friends, Too (Lyra)   Books Are Friends, Too (Lyra) EmptySat Mar 10 2018, 20:20

As Humphrey rounded one of the bookshelves he was caught off guard when a girl called out to him from the place by the window he'd found. The surprise caused him to lose his footing slightly, but he caught himself and managed to hold onto the books with a bit of luck. Looking over at her, he shook his head slightly. He was almost certain that she was in his year, but he didn't even know her name. "N-not a problem at all." he replied after the awkward moment.

Humphrey closed the rest of the distance and set his books down, noticing the mint dress now that he was closer. It was then that he found himself not really sure what to do now, did he try and talk to her or just go about his homework? He thought it would be rather rude to simply ignore the girl sitting across from him so decided he should probably say something, the question was...what. Biting his lip in thought, he looked up from the books to the girl. "That's a lovely dress, miss. Umm, I'm Humphrey." he said, finally remembering his manners and holding out his hand.

Talking to somebody like this in the library felt rather strange to him because he was so used to coming here by himself. While he didn't have an issue with her sitting with him it was...rather different than what he was used to and was making him nervous. What do I do if she makes fun of me for tripping or for holing myself up in the library on a nice day like this? The thought did nothing to help him relax, but it was unfair to just assume somebody would be mean for no reason so he tried to squash it.
    Back to top Go down
    Lyra Binton

Lyra Binton

Hufflepuff - 5th Year

PostSubject: Re: Books Are Friends, Too (Lyra)   Books Are Friends, Too (Lyra) EmptySat Mar 10 2018, 22:21

A surprised sort of "Ohp!" softly escaped Lyra, her hand reaching out in the boys direction as he stumbled. He seemed to be quick to find a hand-hold, however, so she didn't even have time to get up. She was glad to see he hadn't lost what he was carrying either, as she could imagine how hard it would be to pick all that up. As heavy as some of these texts were, she could only cart one at a time herself.

Even in plain clothes - it being the weekend and all - Lyra recognized the Ravenclaw. She smiled softly when agreed to allow her to stay. While most students wouldn't actually tell her no, others would have shown their displeasure at her intrusion. "Thank you," she replied.

Returning to her work, she opened her copy of Unfogging the Future, turning to the chapter on Tessomancy. While they'd covered a few of the important icons, the Professor had asked them to read up and write an essay of four others they hadn't learned yet. She was just about to start in on the meaning of an Acorn when the boy spoke.

It was rather clear from his address that he didn't know her name. Her smile returned as she rested her hand on where she'd stopped in her reading. "Thank you, my grandparents sent it by owl this past week. They bought it on a trip to the states this past month." He hadn't asked, but the Hufflepuff was never one to hold back information about herself if it wasn't too important.

"I know who you are. I think you're at the table in front of me in Potions this year, with Christopher?" Dipping her quill back into her ink, she jotted down a few notes before they slipped out of her head. "My name is Lyra, by the way."
    Back to top Go down
    Humphrey Williams

Humphrey Williams

Ravenclaw - 5th Year

PostSubject: Re: Books Are Friends, Too (Lyra)   Books Are Friends, Too (Lyra) EmptySat Mar 10 2018, 23:10

The polite thank you after he told her she could stay was a rather nice gesture, after all if this was her favorite spot Humphrey felt like he was the one intruding. "Don't mention it. Libraries are here to share knowledge and for people to learn. Although, I have found it also makes a good place to hide sometimes." he added with a soft chuckle. In his opinion there was no better place to hide than between rows of books.

As she pulled out a book and began to work on something he couldn't help his curiosity and noticed the title of Unfogging the Future. Divination was one class he'd never thought too much about taking as others had seemed more useful, but he imagined it was probably interesting. Before his thoughts drifted off too much she replied to his comment about her dress, which snapped him out of it.

"That was nice of them. What part of the states did they get to see if you don't mind my asking?" Humphrey queried. He'd never really talked to anybody about trips across the pond, and his family had never traveled that far from home on family vacations. Usually if they were going somewhere it was to the mainland or a different part of the UK.

Upon hearing that she knew who he was Humphrey felt a slight blush rise to his cheeks. It was one thing not to be as sociable as some of his classmates but he felt slightly embarrassed that he hadn't even known who she was. I really should try and be better about this sort of thing in the future. "Yeah, I do sit with Christopher." he acknowledged. Thankfully she was kind enough to tell him her name, and when she did some of his anxiety slipped away. He even felt himself smile a little. "Well, it's a pleasure to properly meet you after so long Lyra." he told her honestly.

Taking out the text on transfiguration, he got out his assignment and flipped to where he'd stopped the other day. Their current assignment was on the theory of conjuring and vanishing objects, and it was rather tricky stuff, like why certain objects were more of a challenge to vanish or conjure as opposed to some being easier among other things.
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Books Are Friends, Too (Lyra)   Books Are Friends, Too (Lyra) Empty

Back to top Go down

Books Are Friends, Too (Lyra)
    View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
    Page 1 of 1