Beyond the Wand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Harry Potter RP site, Beyond the Wand is currently a free-form site where all are welcome!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Important Links & Info

• Site Plot
  • General Rules
  • Character Applications
  • Claims and Jobs
  • FAQ's

• Who is online?
    In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 193 on Sun Apr 11 2021, 04:13

Change Hurts (Tess)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
    AuthorMessage
    Rhian Kael

Rhian Kael

Dragon Trainer In Training

Change Hurts (Tess) Empty
    PostSubject: Change Hurts (Tess)   Change Hurts (Tess) EmptySat Mar 24 2018, 23:26

November, 2040

Cold wind blew through the door of Hookfang, sending a chill through Rhian as she wiped down the bar top in front of where her last customer had sat. She twisted her wand slightly with a muttered spell and soft music began to play as she placed stuffed it into her back pocket as she began to clean some of the last few pint glasses.

It was an easy night, as most Monday's were. Classes on Tuesday didn't start until closer to noon, so she usually took the closing shift. As winter was approaching, fewer patrons were hanging around this late. Sure, they could simply Apparate home from the step outside. But something about the early sunset and lack of warmth had them scurrying back to their nests quicker than the summer and fall months. This was her first year working during school at the bar, so the brunette was still becoming accustomed to the flow of the seasons.

Her mind wandered to how she herself would be getting home tonight. A scowl appeared on her face, and almost instantly the glass in her hand shattered. "Bloody hell," she threw the few pieces left in her hand into the trash. Rhian wasn't a strong witch, and could feel the residual magic practically sparking across her fingers.

Not one phone call. Not one owl, since last month. He'd sent her off on his gift to her without another word. And, apparently, it was quite easy to dodge her on campus, since he'd probably had the same schedule his first year. The entire encounter at his flat made no sense at all, and Rhian had been left to stew.

For the last month.
    Back to top Go down
    Tess Holmes

Tess Holmes

Healer In Training

PostSubject: Re: Change Hurts (Tess)   Change Hurts (Tess) EmptySun Mar 25 2018, 00:33

Tess did not like this area too much. Mistwick was nice enough, but the idea of going to a bar and at night...her father would be horrified. Still, there was a nice thrill at the thought of rushing to a forbidden place to see her forbidden friend.

'You're such a rebel' her sarcastic mind added much to her amusement. Still, as she began to fill the autumn winds hit her, she tugged her peacoat tighter around her. Midnight was not an appropriate time for her to be out, but since she was coming from her lab hours, it was normal for her to be awake already. Long nights,on Mondays meant Tuesdays would be kinder and she wouldn't have class till the afternoon.

So as she arrived at the bar, she ignored the closed sign and pushed it open. She knew that Rhian was forgetful and often times locked the bar for last. Her friend wasn't exactly expecting her, but she figured she was near campus and maybe they could chat.

"Is there anyone here that can make me a Pina colada?" she called out.

Back to top Go down
    Rhian Kael

Rhian Kael

PostSubject: Re: Change Hurts (Tess)   Change Hurts (Tess) EmptySun Mar 25 2018, 00:55

The last few particles of glass floated softly into the trash with an easy spell as Rhian turned to the opening door. She was confident enough with her regulars that, if it was one of them, she could simply tell them she was done for the evening. Her boss trusted her judgement when it came to closing up. If it didn't make sense to stay open, she didn't have to.

But her shoulders visibly relaxed at the sight of Tess, a small laugh accompanying the reaction at her friends call. "You're lucky I got Ric to agree to that blender a few months back. He thought I was absolutely barking."

They'd gone back and forth, her and the old timer. Her coworker didn't see the need for 'froo-froo drinks', as he liked to call them. He much preferred straight up beers or two ingredient drinks. "If they can't say what's in it, they shouldn't be able to order it," he'd barked out. But Rhian had fought him on it, saying they'd attract a more female clientele if they offered a bigger variety.

Turning the music back on, she moved with ease behind the bar, pouring mixer and liquor into the container and setting it to spin. "How'd it go at the lab today? Did you get to dissect anyone yet?" It was a joke....for the most part. Rhian loved the idea that Tess may have to deal with surgery and the like one day.

She passed the other witch the finished drink and poured herself a pint before locking the door and settling into the bar stool beside her.
    Back to top Go down
    Tess Holmes

Tess Holmes

Healer In Training

PostSubject: Re: Change Hurts (Tess)   Change Hurts (Tess) EmptySun Mar 25 2018, 01:03

Smiling at Rhian, Tess turned and made sure to lock the door but she was beat to it. She hoped to get a few minutes with her friend alone; she would by no means help cleaning (she was not meant to do that kind of work), but rather take a seat and drink as her friend continued to work. Making herself comfortable she began to sip the nicely prepared drink.

Sighing at the taste she felt herself relax a bit. Rum always did the job and she has a soft spot for liqueurs and mixed drinks. No one would ever find her mulling over a beer of any kind, not her game.

When their conversation started about her practicum she groaned. She wished she could get into the surgery, instead she was doing lab work, boring and predictable.

"Do you know how much I can't wait for that? The things I could do with a scalpel" her eyes glittered. "Maybe then they would take me more seriously. Do you know how frustrating it is to be there ? Apparently my graduating class is made mostly of males? Apparently to avoid the stigma of something set for a gender, they've opened the position for Mediwizards. Why am I a healer and they are mediwizards" she growled at the sexism as she took a longer sip. "I could run circles around them if I only got a chance. The most exciting thing that's happened recently is..."

She trailed off remembering when she created the salve for Watson. Her eyes glazed over remembering how weird that situation was. Her stomach tightened at the thought. 'I should have eaten something before drinking' she thought.

"Not important" she shook her head. "How are you? I haven't seen your face in a while" She tilted her head and really studied her. "What's wrong? There's something on your face that's telling me there's something wrong"

Back to top Go down
    Rhian Kael

Rhian Kael

PostSubject: Re: Change Hurts (Tess)   Change Hurts (Tess) EmptySun Mar 25 2018, 01:38

Rhian's laugh wasn't exactly forced, but it lacked its usual ease and light-heartedness. An almost bitter taste was left in her mouth, as if she'd swallowed an Asprin without water, her throat dry. Tess was still funny....wasn't she?

"We were potions partners long enough at Hogwarts. I know what you're capable of." And it wasn't just about the cutting. Rhian wasn't overly clumsy, but neither did she live a delicate life. Whenever she got herself into a mess that left scrapes and bruises, Tess had always been her go to Healer, rather than the Hospital Wing at school. The other girl had a light touch and easy bedside manner, at least with Rhian. If easy is a light scolding with a sly grin.

Her fingers trailed the outside of her glass, playing in the condensation forming there as her mind wandered a bit into stormier waters, missing how quickly Tess dropped her train of thought. It wasn't til her tone changed, became concerned, that Rhian looked back at her friend.

Thinking on it, they really hadn't seen each other much over the last few weeks, exams and general school life keeping them separately busy. They'd done study sessions here and there, but not any actual down time like this since...

"Connor and I aren't talking."

Last edited by Rhian Kael on Sun Mar 25 2018, 02:27; edited 1 time in total
    Back to top Go down
    Tess Holmes

Tess Holmes

Healer In Training

PostSubject: Re: Change Hurts (Tess)   Change Hurts (Tess) EmptySun Mar 25 2018, 02:01

Tess M. Holmes was a selfish person; this was a fact. She always thought about herself, always pushed to get her way, and always looked out after herself. Well...her eleven year old self had been molded that way. Whether it was Beauxbatons or Hogwarts, she always had her own back and cared for herself because she knew no one would. That is until her friend showed up. Rhian brought the humanity that Tess had been forced to repress for ten years. Ever since her mother had died, she had been told that 'feeling' was a weakness, especially when they were as simple minded as a female. So throughout the rest of her adolescence till now, Tess found herself willing to open up to a handful of people but no one more than Rhian.

So as she heard "Connor and I aren't talking.", she actually found herself leaning back in surprise and gripping the counter tightly so as to not fall.

"Oh"

This was unexpected. And for a brief second a glee went through her; she never really liked him. But that soon was stopped off when she knew how hurt Rhian was.

'You're getting better at being human' her conscious comforted her. So she took a long few sips of her cocktail before crossing her legs primly, placing her hands on her knees and waited patiently for the story. Because, the fact was that when Rhian and Conner had a problem, there was a story involved.

Signaling her to open up, she waited patiently to somehow become the 'Love Healer' in this situation.

Back to top Go down
    Rhian Kael

Rhian Kael

PostSubject: Re: Change Hurts (Tess)   Change Hurts (Tess) EmptySun Mar 25 2018, 02:56

The pair of brunettes had always made fun of the other girls in school for things like this. Bitching about boys, as if the world revolved around them. But even Rhian couldn't deny the fact that most of her days were filled thinking about the opposite gender. Whether it was this shit going on with Connor, or...Heath.

Not dealing with that right now.

That would come later, she told herself. At the thought of going into that whole mess as well, she levitated a bottle of Firewhiskey over to them from the shelf behind the bar and uncapped it. There was about a quarter left in it and in her current mood she knew it would be gone soon. So she took a big swig right out of the bottle.

"I went to visit him at his new flat a few weeks back," just talking about it now, she could feel heat raising to her face. She'd blame the whiskey, but she'd not drank enough yet. So she decided to remedy that fact and take another long pull. "Remember that chick he'd been seeing? Well, apparently they broke it off cause his roommate's an ass, and then Connor got all piss-y at me for some reason."

He'd rejected her. Not just physically, but emotionally. Her oldest friend had shut her out, treated her like she was just some stranger. Rhian felt her stomach drop to the floor at the memory as her eyes began to sting. She hated crying when she got mad.

"He gave me a stupid bike, and said some stupid shit, and just..." her words ran away with her. Another drink.
    Back to top Go down
    Tess Holmes

Tess Holmes

Healer In Training

PostSubject: Re: Change Hurts (Tess)   Change Hurts (Tess) EmptySun Mar 25 2018, 03:07

Tess never considered herself to know love very well. In fact..if she as being perfectly honest, it was one of the most confusing and frustrating thing on earth. But to her there were some basic truths out there and to her one was very clear: Rhian was oblivious to how unnatural her relationship with Connor could be.

And while she didn't know the whole story, she felt like some parts were definitely missing. Connor was annoying, always too loud and too boisterous but he was never a negative person. So for his mood to dampen something must have happened.

She took the situation in and paused. What did she want to hear? The truth? Or be that person that just let them rant. The easier option was the second one, so she simple sat there as she went off.

"Okay..." she paused before taking a longer sip of her drink. "His roommate is an ass, I did meet him. But...wait. So he's mad at you but he gave you a bike? Rhian what did you say to trigger that reaction? Was he already upset when you came in?"

That didn't sound right but then again nothing ever made sense when it came to Rhian's unhealthy relationship with Connor.

Back to top Go down
    Rhian Kael

Rhian Kael

PostSubject: Re: Change Hurts (Tess)   Change Hurts (Tess) EmptySun Mar 25 2018, 20:54

Thankfully, Rhian could feel the tell tale signs of a good buzz coming on already. A few more generous shots from the bottle and she'd be well on her way to drunk.

"How'm I supposed to know why he does what he does?" The bike had been there, after all. He'd enjoyed them enough right along with her, but Connor had seemed more interested in older cars. Thinking on it, she remembered the pair of them during Hogwarts years, boring Mr. Feldman's bike to go out during the summer. Mostly Conner would drive, with Rhian's arms laced around his middle. But she loved it better when she got to drive. He'd been a solid presence at her back as the wind whipped through her hair. The memory caused an ache in her chest.

So much for that.

Tess's words broke into her reverie and her brow furrowed in concentration. Thinking back, he'd been flustered when she first arrived, but not actually at her. Just at the unexpected mess of his flat. He'd slipped easily into their comfortable mode, making them food and chatting away.

Until talk of his ex. "Well," Rhian's nails started peeling away the label on the bottle in her hands. "I asked about him how that whole thing was going, with the girl. He did the same, and I mentioned Heath." Ugh. She would have to end up telling Tess about that drama. Lack there of, actually. "I mean, he'd said he wasn't broken up about it. But it was so obvious that me talking about being kinda happy at the time was bothering him."

And how was she to know otherwise! It wasn't like either of them had much experience with talking about that stuff. With another shot, the bottle was almost empty. "If he was still broken up of the girl, why would he say he wasn't? Why wouldn't he just say he was hurting?"
    Back to top Go down
    Tess Holmes

Tess Holmes

Healer In Training

PostSubject: Re: Change Hurts (Tess)   Change Hurts (Tess) EmptySun Mar 25 2018, 21:06

Tess knew it was bad when Rhian began to simply sip the bottle and nothing else. She remembered how bad their headaches could get if they did that too much. But she wasn't there to baby her or be mothering, no instead she was there sipping a large pina colada and hearing her rant.

From the narration, nothing seemed incredibly out of place, that is until Heath was mentioned. Tess perked up a bit in curiousness and as Rhian went on she found herself not listening. Immediately her brain began to process the information. What was she supposed to say? 'Well Rhian, if you loved someone and you were unnaturally close to them, and then one day they have a boyfriend, would you be hurt?'

"Not good" she murmured to herself as she grabbed her straw and swirled the drink.

"Well, I'm not an expert on your unnatural relationship, but I've seen it enough to conclude something simple. The way you two act around another...it's not a normal boy and girl friendship" she said it softly and touched Rhian's hand. "It hurts to say this to you because I know it will hurt you, but I knew that the moment you would bring Heath into the mix, it would change things. He can't be there the way you want to out of respect. Now...should he be bitter about your relationship? No, but you were a bit when you told me about his girlfriend."

Leaning back she found herself wondering just how much more should she say. Should she just tell her that they're dancing around one another? No, it was best to have her figure it out.

"So give him some space for now. You got what you wanted right? Someone that cares for you and Heath is just that. If Connor was bitter, well he'll get over it in a bit, but take time to really think why you're hurt. Are you hurt that he's not happy for you? Or are you hurt that he put boundaries?"

Back to top Go down
    Rhian Kael

Rhian Kael

PostSubject: Re: Change Hurts (Tess)   Change Hurts (Tess) EmptySun Mar 25 2018, 21:57

Rhian had heard Tess call her friendship 'unnatural' before. She knew the other girl wasn't fond of her closeness with the Hufflepuff. They were too different, in almost every way, to really understand how Rhian was so close with both of them at once. Luckily, their differences in years had allowed for them to share her time easily over the years, instead of having to be around each other much.

Well, yeah, she thought, as Tess's hand touched hers. She and Connor had be unrelated, close in age, friends since she was ten. Most children who grew up in close quarters together of opposite genders were brother and sister. And that had lead them to be relatively comfortable with each other. A closeness that Rhian had always cherished, as distant as she was with most other people in her life.

She scowled. Tess had a point. "But it was different." She was sure of it. There had been enough time for her to think through it since the summer, about why she wasn't happy hearing that Connor was dating someone. "Sure, I didn't like hearing about this mystery girl. But it was cause he'd kept her this big secret from me! I thought we were closer than that. That he wouldn't keep something that important from me."

Tess's word swam in her mind. She really would have to turn that over, exactly why she was hurting. Of the two options, she remembered the intense pain of him pulling away from her hug at the sink. Rhian rarely reached out to others physically, and that kind of open rejection had stung. A lot.

"I don't really know about that either though." Her thoughts were all over the place, latching onto Tess's description of her boyfriend. "Heath, I mean. He's nice and all, but..." Too nice, was more accurate. "He's more like luke-warm bath water," she giggled. That didn't really make sense, but in the moment it didn't have to.
    Back to top Go down
    Tess Holmes

Tess Holmes

Healer In Training

PostSubject: Re: Change Hurts (Tess)   Change Hurts (Tess) EmptySun Mar 25 2018, 22:11

At the scowl from Rhian, Tess could tell that the girl was not happy with what she was being told. But what was she to do? Tess Holmes was not but brutally honest, but she had held her tongue back; she would not force an epiphany where it was not wanted. But as the excuses came from Rhian...well Tess finished her drink faster than expected.

She winced as her brain froze for a second from the chilled drink. Perhaps she should not be drinking at midnight let alone on a Monday. But what was uni if not a time to break rules?

Throughout all of this, there as one phrase that would not get out of her head. 'Love is painful, far more than any maidenhead could be. Because the pain that was evident in rejection was far more painful than any sexual activity could be. That was something that always made her angry about love. It was messy, too many variables, and too much miscommunication. Sex was procreational and easy. Now, Tess had thankfully never felt either, she understood it if she looked at it from a textbook perspective.

"Rhian you aren't children that play around the gardens anymore. Friendships evolve, grow, die and all the messiness in between. You always have a hard time accepting change...but life happens" she shrugged her head getting a bit muddy. "And even my closest friends, even my brother, I don't hug or touch them that often. Your touches are not platonic. At least not to him if he rejected them once it was clear that there was someone else"

Still her friend was stupid. Merlin she was stupid. Shaking her head she let her go on about Heath, or well the lack of interest in Heath.

"Well if he's lukewarm water, what's keeping you there?" Leaning against the counter she took the bottle from her buzzed friend and took a sip wincing at the differing taste. "I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I wouldn't waste time on someone that doesn't make my heart beat faster or at least makes my day brighter....Not that it's a thing"

Back to top Go down
    Rhian Kael

Rhian Kael

PostSubject: Re: Change Hurts (Tess)   Change Hurts (Tess) EmptySun Apr 01 2018, 00:57

Not platonic. The thought had never truly crossed Rhian's mind, in all her years of friendship with Connor. They'd just always been...well, them. The first year or so was a struggle, with her being firmly within her shell upon entering the wizarding world and becoming ward to his grandparents. But by the time he'd returned from his second year at Hogwarts, she'd gotten used to the idea of a new life and he'd somehow fit himself into that life without her realizing it.

"Maybe," she at least agreed to the possibility Tess was proposing. It would kind of make sense, in some weird 'man' way, that he would put up boundaries if she was meant to be sharing her life with someone for the first time. While it was a weird kind of logic, especially to her drunk mind, Rhian had to admit it was something she'd have to try to respect. But she didn't have to like it.

Hearing her friend's thought on Heath was a bit odd, however. Rhian had spent years listening to the ins and outs of the Pureblood world through Tess. And it had become quite clear from the start that love, and anything like it, had nothing to do with their relationships. It was surprising, then, to hear Tess talk about 'hearts beating' and 'days brightening'.

"And here I thought you all were bred to 'propagate the magically pure lineages'. Since when did love come into your equation?" It was a diversionary tactic, Rhian knew. But she wasn't really in the mood to examine her reasonings for keeping on with Heath. Not when her heart was still aching over her falling out with Connor.

Too much drama for one night, she thought.
    Back to top Go down
    Tess Holmes

Tess Holmes

Healer In Training

PostSubject: Re: Change Hurts (Tess)   Change Hurts (Tess) EmptySun Apr 01 2018, 01:26

The maybe that was Rhian's comment made Tess roll her eyes. So her admittance was not ideal, but Tess hoped that even in her alcohol affected mind Rhan could see that things changed. Because in her mind, she did not see much of herself as the same person as she was but a year ago. Things changed, people moved on and she only hoped Rhian grew into her emotional maturity.

And perhaps Heath was the key. Now granted, when Tess had initially met Heath as a potential partner, but she had found him to be...nice? There as nothing that sparked interest, other than he was a nice boy with a normalcy that did not thrill her. But with Rhian, that demonstrative nature would be put to good use.

Though, as the topic shifted into her own words coming back to bite her, Tess wrinkled her nose in disgust. Yes, perhaps it was to change the subject, and as always it worked.

"Well, of course, purity is necessary to maintain the status that my family has risen to. But the way I see it, I'm the youngest and in no way will I ever become the heir, so I can try to find someone that stimulate my mind. And if not the mind at least not so hideous that I can at least...feel?" she winced at the end and took the last bit of drinks. "Or I might end up purposely marked to avoid all that malarky, but we should leave. Come on, grab your things, you can stay over at my place"

So as Rhian locked the door and shut off the lights. everything else was done and they headed back out. At their state, apparating proved to be unwise so they linked arms and walked down the streets, ranting about love and the unknown.

Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Change Hurts (Tess)   Change Hurts (Tess) Empty

Back to top Go down

Change Hurts (Tess)
    View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
    Page 1 of 1